A backyard is a great area of the home that can be easily neglected. Winter is a great time to update your backyard while it’s not in as much use. You’ll love having outdoor family nights and hosting parties in your new backyard. Having a well decorated backyard can elevate your parties and other outdoor events. Be sure to take time to plan out your space before diving into remodeling or buying new materials. It’s important that everything in your space complements each other and looks good together. Impulsively adding too many new features may make it too cluttered and overdone.
Here are 10 tips to upgrade your space.
- Add a fountain. This will really elevate your backyard and add calming sounds of water from the fountain. The relaxing sounds of water will make you feel like you are on a tropical vacation.
- Install a fireplace as a focal point. Summertime is a great time to host a bonfire and roast marshmallows with your family and friends! As it gets colder, the fireplace will come in handy, allowing you to stay warm during colder months.
- Hang a hammock. This is a simple and cost effective element to add to your yard. Plus, it's very relaxing to nap or read in a hammock.
- Build a deck. This takes time and money but will be a nice foundation for your backyard. A more cost effective option is to build your own patio with stones.
- Build a pergola. This is an overhead archway that is usually covered in plants. It’s useful to provide shade from sunlight and is very stylish. Another option is to put up a canopy. These will also help to protect against rain.
- Create an outdoor movie space. This can be done by getting a projector and sheet. Hang the sheet up and have the projector angled so it projects onto the sheet or screen. It creates a nice cozy family activity on summer nights.
- Add colorful throw pillows to furniture. This really helps to brighten up your outdoor space. If you’d like, you can also have multiple sets of pillows you change out throughout the year to keep it looking fresh.
- Create different levels. The different angles are more engaging to the eye. It also creates different areas to entertain at parties.
- Add plants. It helps liven up your outdoor space. Just be sure not to have plants too close to dining areas as this can attract more bugs.
- Lighten things up. Add tiki torches or hanging lights to help brighten up your backyard at night.